In 1861, Confederates destroyed the lightship. A new lightship marked Smith Point by 1862, and served until a new screwpile lighthouse was built off Smith Point in 1868. In 1893, the lighthouse was severely damaged by ice - the keepers abandoned the station, fearing its collapse. The light survived, but was not so lucky two years later. On February 14, 1895, the superstructure was torn from the foundation and fell into the bay.