The second lighthouse proved ineffective. In 1821, a lightship was placed at the point, and for a time the point was marked by both. In 1828, erosion necessitated construction of a third lighthouse. Built by Winslow Lewis, the light survived only slightly longer than its predecessor. An 1855 report stated, "The iron frame which supports the lamps is so weak that no great effort would be required to shake it down. The tower is badly cracked, and not more than 35' from the edge of the bank, which is fast giving way." A new lightship was placed on station in 1857, and the third lighthouse discontinued in 1859.